Monday 10 April 2017

‘Thank you for your rejection’

Like many writers out there, I’ve been sending my work to a large number of publishers. Almost all the time I get no response, which eventually comes to mean that I have been rejected. But then, one day, I got a rejection letter. Initially I felt huge sense of disappointment. However, as that emotion started to fade, it was replaced with a sense of relief. I didn’t need to wait any longer. I re-read the rejection letter and realised they addressed the character in my story and not the story. It was kind of sweet. I was compelled the send a thank you letter, but I didn’t want it to be another envelope, another letter, another batch of reading material. So, I sent the publisher a postcard to thank them. Now that I have done that, I worry they might think I’m insane or making fun of the rejection. If it’s insane to want peace of mind, knowing the truth which can be disappointing, than I am insane. I’ll plead guilty to that even though I do not agree. I think it is very sane to want to trade peace of mind and disappointment with wait, anxiety and false hope. Which also means that I am not making fun of the rejection. I sincerely thank them for the time and effort. It really did mean a lot to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment